'

Tuesday 15 February 2011

PAST MIDNIGHT by Mara Purnhagen

Let me set the record straight. My name is Charlotte Silver and I'm not one of those paranormal-obsessed freaks you see on TV.no, those would be my parents, who have their own ghost-hunting reality show. And while I'm usually roped into the behind-the-scenes work, it turns out that I haven't gone unnoticed. Something happened on my parents' research trip in Charleston - and now I'm being stalked by some truly frightening other beings. Trying to fit into a new school and keeping my parents' creepy occupation a secret from my friends - and potential boyfriends - is hard enough without having angry spirits whispering in my ear. All I ever wanted was to be normal, but with ghosts of my past and present colliding, now I just want to make it out of high school alive...

This is another book that I've had my eye on for a while... why did I wait so long to read it? It was fantastic!

Charlotte Silver doesn't live an average teenage life. Instead, she travels the country--and even the world--with her parents. They have a ghost-hunting reality show that's very popular, but it's not about chasing ghosts, as much as it is about debunking and/or explaining the scientific reason for the phenomena.

Her sister, Annalise, is now lucky enough to be in college, so her being carted from one place to another is over. But she also wants that for Charlotte. So, Annalise strikes a deal with her parents, and they agree that for one whole year, they'll stay in one place. That way, Charlotte can spend her senior year of high school in the same school, and the same town. The kind of stability she's never had. Charlotte loves the idea, and insists they move into a brand new house with no history. And when she meets a neighbour and they become instant friends, she knows she's going to love this place. This is her chance to finally be normal.

Except, something's followed her from Charleston, something to do with her parents' latest case. Not to mention that her new friend, Avery, has a few secrets of her own--something that points to another not-so-normal situation. So Charlotte once again finds herself caught up in a variety of strange 'situations'... so much for being normal! ;)

I absolutely loved this book! I was instantly hooked, was drawn so deeply into Charlotte's life that I couldn't put the book down. I enjoyed her very honest, intriguing narration. And there are some chilling, intense, creepy moments, too. I couldn't wait to find out who/what had attached itself to her and why. I also loved the way so many things come together because of her, and she has no choice but to figure it all out.

This is an awesome book that I enjoyed so much I already ordered the next one...

H&UFRC books read: 9/24

No comments:

Favorites More