'

Thursday 29 April 2010

KNIFE by RJ Anderson


KNIFE is a classic fairy story, with a feisty heroine and a dark side...

Once upon a time, a fairy is born. She lives in an old oak tree at the bottom of a garden with the rest of the fairy folk. Never has she known a time when life hasn’t been hard, with many dangers and much adversity. But when she becomes the Hunter of the group and learns to do battle in the outside world, her adventures really take off…

Don’t read this book if you’re expecting fairy dust – the last thing Knife is likely to wield is a magic wand…


This is a book that I told my daughter about ages ago. So when I received it and she asked me if we could read it together, I liked the idea. As soon as I got started we were both captivated by the Oakenfolk. We couldn't wait to uncover their secrets and enjoyed the adventure with Knife, Paul, and the other faeries.

There's something really special about this book. Something that makes every word almost magical, as if my daughter and I had been temporarily transported into Knife's world and didn't want to leave.

The Oakenfolk live in our world, inside an Oak tree. These tiny faeries also lead lives that are shrouded by secrets that keeps them from using any magic, or wandering Outside. But when the strong-willed and very stubborn Knife becomes a Hunter and crosses paths with a human named Paul, she becomes curious about him. He's a boy with a very human problem--an accident put him in a wheelchair and has stolen all hope from his life.

Together, the faery and the human strike up an unusual but very strong friendship. One that helps them overcome their own personal problems and brings them closer together as they uncover secrets the Queen keeps hidden. Of course, not all is as it seems. The truth sometimes appears one way but is actually another.

This is a book that can be enjoyed by kids, teens and adults. There's a bit of everything: mystery, interesting characters, danger, strong friendships, adventure, magic, romance, and a wonderful, imaginative world. The interaction between Knife and Paul was heart-wrenching and the story keeps you guessing until the last word.

Knife is a beautifully written, charming story that captivates the reader. It's a tale about lost magic, love, and how secrets can force a whole generation to lose a special part of who they really are. I absolutely loved this tale and can't wait for the next one. Actually, neither can my daughter. lol.

Review from my 9-year-old daughter:

Knife is an awesome book. The chapters kept me guessing every time. I also liked Knife's attitude and the friendship between her and Paul. The secrets were amazing. I loved the characters: Wink because she helped Knife and Thorn was a nice, tough and a cool faery. Paul is sweet, kind and gives a helping hand to Knife.

Here's a picture I drew of Knife and Paul.

*Cassie*

Knife, April 2010, ISBN 9781408303122, Orchard Books Paperback

No comments:

Favorites More