'

Monday 6 July 2009

I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER


John works in his family's mortuary and has an obsession with serial killers. He wants to be a good person, but fears he is a sociopath, and for years he has suppressed his dark side through a strict system of rules designed to mimic normal behaviour.

Then a demon begins stalking his small town and killing people one by one, and John is forced to give in to his darker nature in order to save them. As he struggles to understand the demon and find a way to kill it, his own mind begins to unravel until he fears he may never regain control. Faced with the reality that he is, perhaps, more monstrous than the monster he is fighting, John must make a final stand against the horrors of both the demon and himself.

As soon as I read the blurb for this book, I knew I just had to read it. When I finally got the chance to sit down and got started, I was hooked instantly. This is one seriously awesome book. I absolutely loved it!

John Cleaver is a teenager who helps his mother and aunt out in their mortuary. He's also fascinated by serial killers and pretty much knows every detail documented about most of them. He's not your average boy, that's for sure. Death fascinates him. Liking a girl scares him. Luckily for him, he's in therapy and his doctor is helping him to (at least) appear to be normal. I really enjoyed his visits with Dr Neblin.

When he discovers that an actual demon is killing people in his town and collecting body parts, John sets out on a personal investigation to find out who it is. He's finally got his own serial killer to dissect. But what he stumbles into is certainly not what he expected.

I Am Not A Serial Killer is an addictive book that sucks you in from the very first word and keeps you turning every page. Actually, I couldn't wait to get back to it. It's why I read it so quickly and enjoyed every second of it. This is one unique look into the mind of a very dark individual who struggles to stay on the right path every single day. It's got a little bit of everything, and I really liked the dark humour.

Who would've thought that a book starring a sociopathic teenage boy with very violent tendencies would turn out to be so much fun? Well, it is. For all his strangeness, I found John to be a great character that I would love to spend more time with in the future.

I Am Not A Serial Killer, July 2009, ISBN 0755348818, Headline Paperback (B)

2 comments:

Cora Zane said...

This sounds good! I will have take a peek at this next time I'm at the bookstore. But actually, that's not why I'm here...


Happy, happy birthday! Happy, happy birthday! *chicken dance* ^_^ I hope you have a marvelous day, lady.

Yolanda Sfetsos said...

Thanks so much, Cora! :)

Favorites More